Google+ Pieces o' Eight: I'm sorry console gaming, I'm leaving you. We've grown too far apart.

Tuesday 21 May 2013

I'm sorry console gaming, I'm leaving you. We've grown too far apart.

Today marked two things:

1) The reveal of Microsoft's forthcoming system, the XBox One.
2) Something I've long suspected coming true: my relationship with console gaming is at an end.

Given Sony's lackluster introduction of the PS4, concentrating as it did on 8GB of RAM!, I had hoped Microsoft's reveal of the next XBox would do something to rekindle my interest in console gaming.





Instead Microsoft announced some sort of multi-media set-top box, designed to take over your television, blast adverts at you day and night, induce bouts of ADHD by instantly allowing you to switch between films, TV, apps, Skype (and god knows what else), all controlled by voice control and motion tracking. Oh, and it will also let you play a new football game, a new racing game and a new army-blokes running around shooting things *pew* *pew* game.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that interests me about either of these new consoles (and the less said about Nintendo's swansong the better). They are the perfect platforms for corporate churn; sequel after sequel force-fed to idiots whose insatiable appetite for crap fuels the whole system, accompanied by several generous sides of corporate bullshit forcibly shoved up the wazoo. They are absolutely not the perfect platforms for anybody who wishes to enjoy games without being subjected to fifty metric fucktons of horseshit.

So that's it for me and console gaming. It provided almost three-decades of fun, but as it turns out we've grown too far apart.



No comments:

Post a Comment